[Development] QHash for Qt 6

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Fri Dec 20 15:49:29 CET 2019

> On 20 Dec 2019, at 15:14, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> Il 20/12/19 13:54, Vitaly Fanaskov ha scritto:
>> This is not that easy to use std::* containers because at least the following issues have to be addressed:
>>  * Memory management
>>  * Binary compatibility
>>  * Implementation consistency
>> You probably can provide, for example, some allocators, relax compatibility requirements and so on...  The question only is whether this is worth doing or not.
>
> I'm not totally sure I understand this point. What do you mean by "memory management"? (Binary compatibility of stdlib is not an issue, and implementation consistency for containers shouldn't really be either).
>
>> Personally I tend thinking that this is better to maintain, extend and improve what we already have rather than address the issues listed above. Again, this is just a personal opinion.
>
> It's just a problem of "who does the work", and we've got a terrible track record at that.  But I grant that implementing containers is fun, and I'm not doing the work, so I shut up :)

I don’t think that’s quite true. We’ve been doing ok maintaining them for most of the lifetime of Qt. But I agree that we’ve been bad at it during Qt 5.

But those containers deserve more love. And especially, a good implementation of QHash might save us work in total. I do know about at least a few custom hash tables we/I have implemented e.g. in QtQml because QHash didn’t cut it. If we can replace those with one tested implementation we save us work overall.

Cheers,
Lars