[Development] MYSQL / MariaDB pre-build plugins

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Mon Dec 30 14:38:59 CET 2019

Hi,

due to the fact that the pre-built MYSQL plugin can no longer be shipped
with the Qt installer we get a lot of questions in the forum why it's
not shipped anymore and how to build this driver from the sources. We
already tried to improve the documentation for it but it's not an ideal
solution and generates a lot of annoyance to the user.

Therefore I though it would be better to create a new plugin for MariaDB
even the MYSQL plugin works fine with MariaDB (and vice versa afaik) -
this way it should be possible to provide a pre-compiled plugin again.
Creating this plugin is easy as the code for MYSQL and MariaDB is
basically the same ( see
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/283579 )
But there are still some open questions:
  - do we want to have a separate plugin for MariaDB?
  - do we need to split the sources for the MariaDB and MYSQL plugin?
  - should they be co-installable (since they use the same library names
this may not work that easily)
  - do we need a small paragraph in the documentation why we can't ship
it anymore and that MariaDB should be preferred?

Christian