[Development] MYSQL / MariaDB pre-build plugins

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Dec 30 15:13:22 CET 2019

On Monday, 30 December 2019 10:38:59 -03 Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
>   - do we want to have a separate plugin for MariaDB?

No. The plugin code is the same and the application code using the plugin is
the same. There's no need for two plugins. One must suffice.

>   - do we need to split the sources for the MariaDB and MYSQL plugin?

No.

>   - should they be co-installable (since they use the same library names
> this may not work that easily)

No.

>   - do we need a small paragraph in the documentation why we can't ship
> it anymore and that MariaDB should be preferred?

Yes. Just ship the MariaDB one.

Can you explain why this isn't done now? Why can't we build against the
MariaDB libraries and ship those, with their ability to connect to MySQL
servers?

Is the issue the SONAME that the library comes under? That you have to choose
at link time which one of the two you want, meaning the one that needs to be
present at runtime? If so, my recommendation stands: use MariaDB.