[Development] QDialog vs QPushButton and it's autoDefault default

Bernhard Lindner private at bernhard-lindner.de
Tue Feb 12 20:54:21 CET 2019

Hi Volker!

Hm, ok, I see. Thanks a lot for the explanations.

Turned out the reason why the autoDefault heuristics kicks in is because the accept-role-
button is disabled by default (until the user selects an item from the table). So the
heuristic takes over a bit to early. To provide a non-auto-default I will need to set the
default button programmatically.

Still I am not satisfied. People tend to finish text input by pressing Enter, even in
dialogs. For dialogs containing a sumplementary line edit (not being the main input of the
dialog) this may also trigger some dialog action ahead of time.

Is there a good solution to help user avoiding that mistake?

I considered not to have a default button at all (neither set programmatically nor
selected automatically) but that seems difficult with that always-on heuristics.

--
Best Regards,
Bernhard Lindner