[Development] CMake Workshop Summary

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Feb 22 07:18:36 CET 2019

On Thursday, 21 February 2019 02:59:20 PST Kevin Funk wrote:
> So, yep, add_subdirectory() sounds like the way to go; we'll need to check
> how that performs with the amount of existing Qt submodules, though. We
> might need to do a couple more optimizations of the CMake macros/functions
> in qtbase.git for that.

It also means making sure they don't step on each other's toes, but I think
that a little discipline in writing our CMakeLists.txt should get us there.

But do note that our parallelism isn't that bad right now. There's a long
critical path before parallel things can currently be built, but once QtQml is
built, the number of jobs that can be launched in parallel is very big. What
doesn't need that build isn't very large.

Currently, I can briefly saturate the 276-node Icecream farm at the office for
a few minutes while QtQuick builds and just after it. Let's see if CMake can
make it better. It certainly did for KDE back in 4.0, though the biggest gain
was getting rid of libtool.

PS: the build could be faster if Icecream maintainers reviewed pull requests.