[Development] CMake Workshop Summary

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Feb 23 16:26:26 CET 2019

On Saturday, 23 February 2019 01:52:06 PST Richard Weickelt wrote:
> > But do note that our parallelism isn't that bad right now. There's a long
> > critical path before parallel things can currently be built, but once
> > QtQml is built, the number of jobs that can be launched in parallel is
> > very big. What doesn't need that build isn't very large.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit on that? Are you saying that the number of modules
> depending on QtQml is "very big" and hence it is on a critical path or is
> this module different from other critical modules like QtNetwork or QtCore?

I am saying that there are enough libraries or plugins depending on QtQml or
QtQuick, causing a lot of Git repositories to depend on qtdeclarative. That
puts them in the critical path.

On a switch to a different buildsystem, if it can determine that things like
qttools/src/designer don't depend on QtQml, it can start building that
earlier, which should increase parallelism.