[Development] Fwd: About CMAKE_MKSPEC, the spec file recorded in Qt5CoreConfigExtrasMkspecDir.cmake and "using any compiler"

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:04:31 CET 2019

On Monday February 25 2019 10:18:01 Kevin Funk wrote:

Hi,

>From my quoted message:

> >> Now, I think it's not entirely relevant whether or not this particular
> >> setting is a left-over due to me not trashing the entire Qt build
> >> directory
> >> before rebuilding with clang. The fact is that you should be able to
> >> build
> >> Qt with one compiler and dependent software with another.

So you confirm that the path indeed depends on the compiler used during the Qt build (and that my installed copy resulted from rebuilding with clang).

The question remains though why this path determined at Qt build time and not at the dependent's build time. After all you use CMake to build some dependent instead of Qt itself, and CMake makes it easier to use any compiler than QMake.

The differences between GCC and clang tend to be small, but take an MSVC build of Qt on MSWin, and then build some KDE project with -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ ; could be more problematic, no?

R.