[Development] Fwd: About CMAKE_MKSPEC, the spec file recorded in Qt5CoreConfigExtrasMkspecDir.cmake and "using any compiler"

Kevin Funk kevin.funk at kdab.com
Mon Feb 25 12:24:31 CET 2019

On Monday, 25 February 2019 11:04:31 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday February 25 2019 10:18:01 Kevin Funk wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >From my quoted message:
>
> So you confirm that the path indeed depends on the compiler used during the
> Qt build

Well, yes. That's what currently happens.

The mkspec used cannot be altered when using CMake afaics.

> (and that my installed copy resulted from rebuilding with clang).
>
> The question remains though why this path determined at Qt build time and
> not at the dependent's build time.

> After all you use CMake to build some
> dependent instead of Qt itself, and CMake makes it easier to use any
> compiler than QMake.

That makes sense in theory. QMake will switch to a different mkspec when you
pass `-spec ...` when building an external project. It's impossible to
instruct CMake to do the same right now, as the mkspec is hardcoded in the
CMake config files of the Qt install.

Maybe there should be a way to overwrite the mkspec used via a -DQT_MKSPEC
parameter, with the potential drawback of being able to create a broken
configuration (cf. a MinGW build against a Qt MSVC install; which can't be
mixed), but I don't know. Deferring the mkspec from CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER would
be a potential solution, but again, would require quite a lot of additional
CMake code I'm afraid. Not something I'd envision to maintain for all the
different mkspecs we have.

So far we haven't had any reports of this issue, and I'd rather leave that for
Qt6 times where we need to find a different solution regarding mkspecs when
building Qt with CMake anyway.

> The differences between GCC and clang tend to be small, but take an MSVC
> build of Qt on MSWin, and then build some KDE project with
> -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ ; could be more problematic, no?

Yes, that's why this hasn't popped up on the bug tracker so far I think. It's
again an artificial problem:

- Differences between GCC & Clang are tiny (in fact qplatformdefs.h for both
of them are almost similar).

- In the example your mention you'd need to use Clang's clang-cl.exe as
compiler anyway, which is a drop-in replacement for MSVC's cl.exe and thus
should accept anything from win32-msvc/qplatformdefs.h anyway.

Regards,
Kevin

--
Kevin Funk | kevin.funk at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB (Deutschland) GmbH, a KDAB Group company