[Development] Branch for Qt 6

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Wed Jan 16 10:08:56 CET 2019

> On 16 Jan 2019, at 09:47, Alex Blasche <alexander.blasche at qt.io> wrote:
>
>> From: Development <development-bounces at qt-project.org> on behalf of Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io>
>> For now I’d like to limit this to qtbase, as that’s where pretty much all Qt 6 related work happens,
>> and we need to do some work on the CI side to prepare the other modules for Qt 6 related work
>> (Frederik will post details in a separate mail).
>
> Lars, could you please elaborate on this point? What does for now mean? What time frames are we talking about?
> Where does the assumption come from that all Qt 6 related work happens in qtbase only?
>
> I think I know what you might want to say but the above is too absolutely phrased and I want the statement clear and not fuzzy. Hence please elaborate.

Currently, most of the efforts towards Qt 6 are preparations that are happening in qtbase, so I believe we need the branch there now, so at least some work start.

For other modules, we will of course also need Qt 6 related branches as soon as possible. But we do need to get the model on how to work in those with respect to our CI in order first. The problem here is that our CI makes working with source incompatible changes difficult between repositories. I believe we’ll need to fix that before we can create qt6 branches for the other repositories that compile and test against qtbase/qt6.

Of course you could create a wip branch for other repositories now as well to do Qt 6 related work that doesn’t require Qt6 related changes from qtbase.

Cheers,
Lars