[Development] Proposal: New branch model

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Wed Jan 23 22:04:16 CET 2019

On Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2019 16:51:10 CET Jedrzej Nowacki wrote:
>   Proposal in short: let's use cherry-pick mode everywhere.
>
>   All(**) changes would go to dev. From which they would be automatically
> cherry-picked by a bot to other branches. The decision to which branch
> cherry-
 pick, would be taken based on a tag in the commit message. We
> could add a footer that marks the change risk level as in quip-5
> (http://quips-qt-io.herokuapp.com/quip-0005.html), so for example "dev",
> "stable", "LTS". By default everything would be cherry-picked to qt6 branch
> unless "no-future" tag would be given. Of course we can bike-shed about the
> tag names.

I don't see any advantage to this what so ever. The same amount of work and
refactoring needs to be done, all you have done is made development more prone
to human error, and fixes less likely to reach their intended target, and made
getting point releases out on time harder as they need to go through more
steps before they have all their patches in.

'Allan