[Development] Proposal: New branch model (part: new contributors)

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:21:39 CET 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 16:14, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 24.01.2019, 17:09, "Ville Voutilainen" <ville.voutilainen at gmail.com>:
> > With the proposed model I push into trunk like in every other project.
>
> Why every other? Quite a few projects have different policies, e.g. in
> some of them master is always in more-or-less ready for release state
> and new changes go to staging branch like "dev" or "next"

Well, sure, my comment is anecdotal. Then there are frozen-trunk
project, likes GCC, where I need
to sit on my adventurous patches while trunk is about to branch. In
such projects, I still push into
trunk first, always. In Qt, I need to spend time thinking where to
push, need to look at commit policy,
and verify my understanding by asking for help. Which is also
anecdotal, maybe it's just me.