[Development] Archiving is working

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 20:43:54 CET 2019

Den fre 25 jan. 2019 kl 19:23 skrev Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development
<development at qt-project.org>:

> Il 25/01/19 18:41, Edward Welbourne ha scritto:
> > The pages have all been updated and had their URLs changed.
> > Or are you trying to tell me something else ?
> > I'm not sure I fully understand.
>
> Yes. And that's the problem. It *MUST NOT* happen. Links to mails in the
> mailing list are found in commit messages, on the bugtracker, and so on.
> Breaking them is a big no-no-no.
>

> As I said before, the new archive is corrupted, and thus must be fixed.
> Look at the numbering of emails from the new archives and note at how it
> "jumps":
>
> > https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2011-October/date.html
>
> Compare it to the old numbering (progressive):
>
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20180408194615/http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/
>

> Then take a look at the current archive:
>
> > https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2011-October.txt.gz
>
> Compare it with the old archive:
>
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20180408194615/http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2011-October.txt.gz
>
> The new archive is corrupted; there are duplicated emails in there.
> What's needed now is to make pipermail produce a result identical to the
> old archive.

+1 https://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI ("Cool URIs don't change")

If you're going accept this as "solved", be aware that you're breaking
links in a *lot* of places, not just on Qt infra like QUIPs and
whatnot, but lots of other public forums, mailing lists, code bases,
commit messages, issue trackers etc.

I really think you need to find a way to make existing links work again.

Elvis