[Development] Proposal: New branch model

Jedrzej Nowacki Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io
Mon Jan 28 15:35:08 CET 2019

On Friday, January 25, 2019 9:25:16 AM CET Simon Hausmann wrote:
> I'm somewhat attracted to the proposed model, in conjunction with automation
> and by treating Qt6 differently.
>
> However Allan's last point is what sticks to me most, the load on the CI and
> the resulting impact on productivity:
>
> If all it would take to get changes distributed is a cherry-pick, then I can
> totally see how this can fly. However with a blocking CI and the rate of
> flakyness we are experiencing at least in qtbase, I think this carries a
> high risk of slowing down development.

Bigger then the current merging strategy?

>  (...)
> It would seem that quite a bit of
> tooling needs to be developed first anyway?

Nah the cherry-picking bot would be reasonably easy. Sanity bot has the option
to warn already built-in, although I haven't looked how to enable it for all
non dev branches. Migration itself requires some one time scripting and
backups, I guess it would be rather about logistics and synchronization, then
technical challenges.

Cheers,
  Jędrek