[Development] Proposal: New branch model

Jedrzej Nowacki Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io
Mon Jan 28 15:05:55 CET 2019

On Friday, January 25, 2019 1:30:52 PM CET Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> > On 25 Jan 2019, at 09:43, Martin Smith <Martin.Smith at qt.io> wrote:
> >

> >> It is the absolute exception that a change goes into qtbase on first
> >> attempt.
>

> > But many rejections have nothing to do with any change at all. I often
> > submit documentation-only changes to QtBase, and they often get tested
> > alone, with no other changes. They still get rejected multiple times
> > because test X fails this time and test Y fails next time, despite the
> > fact that my change only fixes typos in the qdoc comments. Sometimes
> > there is a compiler failure too, which is not caused by the change.
>
> Could we simplify testing for some types of patches?  E.g. if the patch only
> touches documentation, don’t run tests, except those that involve building
> docs, if we have any of those.  (Even building the code is dubious in that
> case, as long as the bot that decides that it’s a doc-only patch actually
> verifies that the only changes are inside comments.)  If it only touches
> widgets, some time-consuming and failure-prone tests like network tests
> could be skipped.  And so on.

Sure, please implement it  :-). It has to be maintained on the build system
level, so one can start already. CI can provide some magic parameters to the
build system and then the build system can use whatever heuristic are needed
when running "make check". I wouldn't mind that option even for local
development.

This is out of scope for branch model discussion, for my taste :-)

Cheers,
  Jędrek