[Development] Qt 5 types under consideration for deprecation / removal in Qt 6

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Sat Jun 1 12:46:34 CEST 2019

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 11:22:03AM +0200, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 8:18 PM Thiago Macieira
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 29 May 2019 06:33:23 PDT Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development
> > wrote:
> > > 2) should QRegExp stay in bootstrap? I have no idea of what's happening
> > > regarding to that in Qt 6.
> >
> > Bootstrap needs to go away in Qt 6.
>
> While the bootstrap libraries play a much reduced role in the cmake
> branch, the bootstrap code is still needed: moc, rcc, qfloat16-tables
> and tracegen link against it right now. I would love to see somebody
> rewrite these tools in plain C++. It should not be that hard to do
> so:-)

I am getting mildly irritated by those ongoing suggestions (not just
yours) to use anything but Qt to get stuff done, even Qt's own tasks.
It's sending an odd message.

Sure, one can pull e.g. any "plain C++" replacement for QXmlStreamReader
for rcc. With the usual non-Qt approaches this means either some other
3rd party dependency or some ad-hoc implementation providing the
part of XML parsing rcc actually needs, or to switch over to another
.qrc format.

At the end of the day, all that would be doable, but *why*?

Andre'