[Development] Deprecation/removal model going into Qt 6

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 16:30:11 CEST 2019

>  If existing package of application cannot be rebuilt from source with
updated
Qt version, it's a sure no-go for distibution. Either Qt update will be
blocked, or
application will be thrown away (or application will be somehow patched by
other
people, without you even knowing about that)

- People nowadays will just use the flatpak / appimage / snap / whatever
version which will be much more up-to date than Debian Stable's Qt 5.7 (!)
or Ubuntu LTS & CentOS 's Qt 5.9 anyways.
- boost has the exact same ABI stability issue (e.g. no ABI / API stability
guarantees at all) and yet distros seem to manage all the C++ software
which uses it without much problems.

My 0.02€
Jean-Michaël