[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Thu Jun 13 09:42:33 CEST 2019

Hi all,

After all the discussion, lets go back to the original proposal. We can see from the discussions that there is still work to be done, but I can’t find anything that sounds like a real showstopper.

The two missing features that were voiced as a concern (if I didn’t miss anything in the thread) where multi arch/fat binary support for iOS and PCH support. I also heard that the people working on it are confident they can get this fixed in time for Qt 6, something I’m happy with for now. Nevertheless, I think it would be good if the team working on the cmake port could summarise how/when they are planning to fix this.

One additional concern was multi arch builds for Android, but I don’t think that counts as a concern as qmake does not support this neither (so it would be a new feature).

Finally, there was a concern around qmake support for users of Qt. This is something I have discussed with the team in the past, and it is a strong requirement that qmake will continue working as a build system for our users at least for the foreseeable future. This can and will be solved by cmake creating the required files to support qmake. Btw, this is also a hard requirement to be able to change build system repository by repository, so that we don’t have to do a all or nothing switch of all our repos.

In summary, I do agree with and support the initial proposal by Simon to merge wip/cmake into wip/qt6.

Cheers,
Lars