[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Bogdan Vatra bogdan.vatra at kdab.com
Thu Jun 13 10:06:06 CEST 2019

Hi,

  There is one more missing feature to add to your list: build & debug builds
for msvc in one go (same as qmake does now, a single "make" command will build
both targets).

  Also I wonder when do you plan to release Qt6? Because according to Thiago's
"what a buildsystem must to have list" he mentioned that the buildsystem
should be at least 2 years in the wild. If the needed cmake support is not
implemented yet, are you going to delay Qt 6 release (I won't mid to use C++20
in Qt 6 :) ) just to give time to cmake to mature? Or that (part of the) list
was just an excuse for TQC to ditch QBS ;-).

QBS Android (and iOS) support is far superior to both cmake & qmake. It's not
only compiles your bins (for all ABIs at once!) but it also compiles the java,
aild, etc. parts and it packages them using the android tools directly, which
gives it a faster build time than any other build system out there, yes faster
than qmake/cmake + gradle!

I just hope that even if you'll use cmake to build qt itself, we can still be
able to use any buildsystem to build our Qt Apps.

Cheers,
BogDan.

În ziua de joi, 13 iunie 2019, la 10:42:33 EEST, Lars Knoll a scris: