[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 09:10:29 CEST 2019

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019, 18:11 Jedrzej Nowacki, <Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io> wrote:

> On Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:37:24 PM CEST Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Saturday, 15 June 2019 02:18:28 PDT Jean-Michaël Celerier wrote:
> > > You can download a CMake static binary (https://cmake.org/download/)
> that
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > I would prefer that our requirements be present in Linux distributions we
> > declare are supported build environments. If nothing else, our CI will
> > benefit from this.
>
> Let's not pull CI into it. It already

Wow! Let's not pull in the system which only goal is to validate the
"supported platforms" promise, is it what you mean?
If I need a special cmake to build Qt, then this should be shipped as part
of Qt itself, another third-party source tree.
And then it means that I will need to build qt's build system. In other
words, I'll have to bootstrap Qt build system.
I thought that it was a big no-no. The main argument to ditch qmake and
qbs...

Chris

covers installation of the cmake in