[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 10:14:50 CEST 2019

Den mån 17 juni 2019 kl 09:12 skrev Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2019, 18:11 Jedrzej Nowacki, <Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io> wrote:

>> > (...)
>> >
>> > I would prefer that our requirements be present in Linux distributions we
>> > declare are supported build environments. If nothing else, our CI will
>> > benefit from this.
>>
>> Let's not pull CI into it. It already
>

> Wow! Let's not pull in the system which only goal is to validate the "supported platforms" promise, is it what you mean?
> If I need a special cmake to build Qt, then this should be shipped as part of Qt itself, another third-party source tree.
> And then it means that I will need to build qt's build system. In other words, I'll have to bootstrap Qt build system.
> I thought that it was a big no-no. The main argument to ditch qmake and qbs...

Hm, what is the problem with using the official CMake binaries? Isn't
that what you'd do on Windows / macOS anyway?

If distro X (e.g. *buntu 20.04) happen to ship a sufficient version
when it arrives, then great. But having to install the build tool from
the vendor instead of the distro package manager surely can't be a
blocker?

Elvis