[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 15:22:01 CEST 2019

> Are you insulting this mailing list?
How do you think we made it so far without cmake? Honestly?

No, and I apologize if my wording was so poor as to make you think that
this was the goal. I am just trying to point out that there are more people
who learn & know CMake than people who learn qmake or QBS, and that is in
my opinion the n°1 concern when designing something with as large-reaching
goals as Qt's : how is it possible to ensure that most people can use it
right from the get go, without having to learn another additional language.
Basically, how do you reach the next N million of programmers ?

> The very fact you're discussing qmake and qbs just show that you know
about them, and that you know what they provide cmake cannot provide
(yet).

My personal experience with qmake has been that I have migrated most of my
projects from it to CMake around cmake 3.2 and did not look back (but oh
boy am I in pain whenever I have to work on a qmake project with > 15
files).
With QBS, it has been mainly of reporting build errors when using it with
openFrameworks and eventually reverting back to makefiles because of how
broken it was. But this was two years or so ago, though the taste it left
in my mouth (especially after promising so much) was fairly sour.

> Yes, come on, why do i have to define a custom "toolchain file" each
time someone fart?

I really don't see the difference with defining a new mkspec (though I
don't know if you can put mkspecs outside of qt's mkspecs folder ; it would
certainly be nice if it was the case especially when /usr/lib/qt is
readonly).

> Can't you just understand the good old gnu configure triplet? Or the
concept of sytem/user wide profile? (qbs profile, qmake specs)

That's personal preferences, but I really don't like to depend too much on
$distro-provided development packages.
I already wasted waaay enough time in my life investigating why development
package $foo does not work the same on ubuntu 12.04 vs 14.04 vs 16.04 vs
18.04 vs archlinux vs fedora vs freebsd.
I may also have been unlucky but never had I to only switch to another
compiler triplet to make cross-compiling work as I wanted it to.

> Why does every single project has to provide it's own set of CMake
toolchain files?
Have you ever thought about the problem?

How do other build systems solve this ? qmake uses mkspecs, qbs uses qbs
modules, meson uses a cross-build file...
What happens when I want to cross-compile for a new, unknown target with
qmake or QBS on Ubuntu ?
How can I add features to them if they don't currently support them - e.g.,
a target to generate doxygen files, or to call gcov & generate a coverage
report, or whatever new-fangled way to run link-time optimizations -,
without patching them, and without adding stuff to my project source tree ?
I don't see how the solution can be fundamentally different from CMake's -
except that CMake has a large library of scripts contributed by people out
there.

All the best,
Jean-Michaël