[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jun 17 19:48:00 CEST 2019

On Monday, 17 June 2019 09:03:12 PDT Bogdan Vatra via Development wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Though I can't help but wonder what is the magical ingredient in build
> > systems that has the power to generate such vigorous debates over the
> > internet.
>
>   Because the buildsystem makes the difference between wasting so many hours
> on writing build system scripts or using that time to improve your
> application, to think to better algorithms, do something useful.

Agreed. That's why I posted the list of requests that I did.

The difference between searching on StackOverflow or even already knowing how
to do something, versus debugging the buildsystem tool to figure out why it
didn't what you expected it to do. My issue wasn't feature-completeness or
even UX, but community and experience.

If you remember the discussion from back then, I explained that it was
libvpx's buildsystem that prompted me. It's a manually-written Makefile (no
generator) that runs $(MAKE) on itself after detecting some things and setting
make variables.

And I'm not saying you can't shoot yourself with CMake either. There are
several Intel-created projects using CMake that prove that point quite easily.
But even those it's not very difficult for me to point them to well-written
CMakeLists.txt using GNUInstallDirs.cmake that they can just adopt & adapt,
ditching their well-meaning but ill-advised hand-rolled solutions.

THAT is what I need.