[Development] Proposing CMake as build tool for Qt 6

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Mon Jun 17 18:14:27 CEST 2019

17.06.2019, 19:08, "Bogdan Vatra" <bogdan.vatra at kdab.com>:
> [...]
>>  >
>>  > [...]
>>  >
>>  > Are you seriously thinking that Qt is going to use scripts from some
>>  > random
>>  > github projects ?!?!?
>>
>>  There is a choice: with cmake you either spend hours yourself developing
>>  stuff, or reuse results of those who went through that hell before you :)
>
> Or use a buildsystem that doesn't take to the hell?
>
>>  >> > android and whatever next os is coming.
>>  >>
>>  >> Oh come on (bis). CMake has been one of the official android build
>>  >> systems
>>  >> for close to two years now :
>>  >> https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/cmake>
>>  > Your statement is misleading! Can you use the "official" cmake to build an
>>  > Android *PACKAGE*? (e.g. build the c/c++ bits for all android ABIs in one
>>  > go, build the java, aidl, etc files, add resources and finally create &
>>  > sign your APK? CMake is spawned by gradle (for each ABI) and is used
>>  > *ONLY* to build the C++ files because people refused to port their cmake
>>  > projects to gradle. This means that gradle is the *official* build system
>>  > not cmake!
>>  > You either don't know how an Android package is built or if you know then
>>  > you're intentionally lie people...
>>  >
>>  > Same for iOS, Fuchsia and other OSs that you enumerate: Can you use cmake
>>  > to build a *PACKAGE*?
>>
>>  There is CPack thing that can build packages. No idea if it supports Android
>>  in particular.
>
>   If you don't know if it supports Android (or iOS, Fuchsia, etc), why did you
> bother to mentioned it?

It's extensible in a way that it's possible to have custom package formats while using
shared package specification for all kinds of packages.

>   With so much support our there you should find if CPack can do all the steps
> to build an Android package in seconds, right?

I hve no experience in developing for Android. Quick Google search shows some
scripts like [1] calling androiddeployqt inside.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/debian/openorienteering-mapper/blob/0bb07470365b9b287da649bb9eb8ae4be02da18a/android/CPackConfig.cmake.in

--
Regards,
Konstantin