[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Fri Jun 21 15:42:16 CEST 2019

> On 21 Jun 2019, at 15:05, Simon Hausmann <Simon.Hausmann at qt.io> wrote:
>

> Am 21.06.19 um 14:57 schrieb Volker Hilsheimer:
>>> On 21 Jun 2019, at 11:08, Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan at Veelo.net
>>> <mailto:Bastiaan at Veelo.net>> wrote:

Perhaps. But then, how many of us run dockerd on our local workstation? Or libvrtd?

Why not a Qt service that serves the Qt documentation? Why bother with shutting it down?

> Either way, this requires developing either a new frontend application
> first or a back-end that can do the index searches, etc.

Indeed.

> To me it seems easier to solve this first by making the Qt Assistant use
> WebEngine and when we later have a better doc "frontend" (as web app)
> switch to that and potentially an external browser.

Personally I think the “external browser”, as in “the browser that I read all other development documentation in”, should be a first choice for displaying Qt documentation.

Volker