[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Simon Hausmann Simon.Hausmann at qt.io
Fri Jun 21 16:33:42 CEST 2019

Am 21.06.19 um 15:42 schrieb Volker Hilsheimer:
>> To me it seems easier to solve this first by making the Qt Assistant use
>> WebEngine and when we later have a better doc "frontend" (as web app)
>> switch to that and potentially an external browser.
>

> Personally I think the “external browser”, as in “the browser that I read all other development documentation in”, should be a first choice for displaying Qt documentation.

I think that applies in particular content wise. On the other hand, I'm
a regular user of the ? mode in the locator in Qt Creator. That is SO
convenient in quickly looking up a topic and then getting back to code
just by pressing escape. The ability to view documentation "inline" is
great. Why should we remove the feature when we can make it work with
modern web content at our finger tips?

I don't see inline doc viewing or Qt assistant mutually exclusive with a
great documentation web app - I think that they could co-exist very well
(and should). However the former can be improved today with minimal
effort, while developing a Qt docs web app will take longer.

Simon