[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Palaraja, Kavindra KPalaraja at luxoft.com
Mon Jun 24 11:42:27 CEST 2019

On 24.06.19, 11:20, "Eike Ziller" <Eike.Ziller at qt.io> wrote:

..

    > Have you seen Qt Creator's Help Integration recently?
    > * It doesn't render 1:1 with the default style that is used on https://doc.qt.io

    Yes, the style has to be changed for QTextBrowser. Partly that is a limitation of QTextBrowser (like the issues below), partly offline documentation integrated into an application should look different than the online variant anyhow (like not having the Google search).

    > * It can't display the borders for tables -  so every single table looks weird as all borders are stripped out. Qt's documentation is full of tables.
    > * It doesn't scale images accordingly, so you have manually guess what Creator can display and try really hard to shrink your diagrams without losing clarity
    >
    > Is this really what we want to showcase to our customers?

    Well, what I’d really like would be a lightweight RichText / HTML+CSS viewer without all the baggage of a complete internet browser. QTextBrowser does too little, QtWebEngine much too much.

    Br, Eike

Hi Eike,

OK, so WebEngine is large and we'd like something better? Sounds good. Where do we find this lightweight solution that provides the middle ground we need?

Two further questions:

* What exactly is so big about WebEngine? What is this size that many are hinting at but won't provide the number?
* Doesn't WebEngine have a feature where you can completely lock it out of the Internet?

Additionally, I disagree with the style being different between offline & online documentation. This difference breaks the Qt developer experience currently. We certainly should remove the Google Search for Creator, but the color, style, layout etc. that is on https://doc.qt.io provides the identity for the Qt Brand and should be identical to what we see in Creator's documentation. This is what people mean when they say "seamless integration". Whether the viewer is connected to the big bad Internet, is another story.

It's hard enough to get developers to update their documentation when they make code changes. Adding in this dependency that what they change may not look the way they intended it to look like -- because the output from "make docs" actually gives you yet another style -- is overkill. So we now have 3 different documentation styles for 1 development toolkit's documentation.

Kavindra.

This e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended only for the recipient(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive them. They may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read this email or its attachment(s). Furthermore, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any attachment(s) or copies thereof from your system. Thank you.