[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Palaraja, Kavindra KPalaraja at luxoft.com
Mon Jun 24 15:49:12 CEST 2019

+1, because:

* It's 2019, we need to change with the times as documentation, especially how content looks and feels, has come really far from those days.
* Almost 1:1 appearance of documentation in Creator vs. Browser.
* Nobody needs to patch QTextBrowser and fix CSS now
* We will get code snippet colouring for free in Creator
* We will finally be able to render a table like it should, with real borders and alternating row colours, instead of the weird structure we have now

Kavindra

On 24.06.19, 14:55, "Development on behalf of Tor Arne Vestbø" <development-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io> wrote:

    > On 24 Jun 2019, at 14:43, Simon Hausmann <Simon.Hausmann at qt.io> wrote:
    >
    > I have two more numbers to add: Compressed (7z) the download size would
    > be around ~44 MB. I measured on Windows with a Qt Creator built with
    > WebEngine support and surfed a little through the docs. The memory
    > consumption of the web engine process weighed in between 14-20 MB of RAM.
    >
    > So it looks like this AFAICS:
    >
    >     * We would be adding 145 MB of additional disk usage
    >
    >     * We would add ~44 MB to the download size of Qt Creator
    >
    >     * We would eat ~14-20 MB of additional RAM (not quite fair though,
    > as we'd have to subtract the QTextDocument memory usage for a diff).
    >

    > I don't quite share the opinion that these are "beastly" numbers for
    > desktop machines running C++ development environments. I think that they
    > are worth it. In exchange we can show external content like cppreference
    > or cmake docs without having to worry about their rendering, we can get
    > rid of our separate style sheets and workarounds and we can render the
    > Qt documentation the same way as on the website. We can eliminate an
    > entire class of problems, and we can still prevent such content from
    > accessing remote websites.
    >

    > We've had this situation for a long time now and I think that we should
    > finally move forward and give our users better quality at the expense of
    > their disk space, memory consumption and download size.

    I fully agree with this. Thanks for the numbers Simon!

    Tor Arne