[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Palaraja, Kavindra KPalaraja at luxoft.com
Tue Jun 25 16:30:52 CEST 2019

No, parity isn't Google's search box. There's already a search feature in Creator.

No, not "The Qt Company is hiring" either.

The idea is to have parity in the sense of 1:1 appearance of how the documentation looks like.

Here's a ticket that hasn't gone very far:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-15887

Can we keep the personal attacks out of this and perhaps stick to the issue? I'm definitely not lying. I don't see any tables being rendered the way tables should be rendered in HTML. Unless I'm losing my eyesight?

You could check: https://doc.qt.io/QtApplicationManager/manifest.html none of that alternating row color or design shows up. As a Technical Writer, I expect the output to look like that. So why doesn't it? I'm not attached to WebEngine, I just want to get the expected output.

Kavindra.

On 25.06.19, 16:12, "Development on behalf of Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development" <development-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of development at qt-project.org> wrote:

    Hi,

    Il 25/06/19 14:28, Palaraja, Kavindra ha scritto:

    > Hi Kirill,
    >
    > I can’t speak for the size of WebEngine or the complexity of this
    > solution, but I can speak for the look & feel of the documentation.
    >
    > The current situation with Qt Creator’s documentation is not about how
    > wonderful the content would look like. It’s about the basics of what
    > developers expect to get when they look at the documentation. It’s to
    > match what we have on https://doc.qt.io in the first place. I’m talking
    > about _/parity/_. I’m not asking for some crazy animation – just a 1:1
    > with the official Qt documentation that’s published online.

    Sorry, but now I have to play devil's advocate:

    Does that parity include things like Google search integration, or the
    current ads like "The Qt Company is hiring", not  and so on? The moment
    you start customizing things

    >   * We can’t display a real code blocks in Creator – you don’t get that
    >     black box with syntax highlighted code snippets in Creator. When you
    >     document this, you use \code, \endcode, or \badcode in qdoc. None of
    >     this is actually being displayed as expected in Creator.

    Is this a limitation of QTextBrowser or is the style applied for the
    docs there stripping out code highlighting? I know for a fact that

    > If source code was not behaving as expected when compiled, you’d
    > consider it a bug right? So why is this different because it’s
    > documentation? Because it’s less important?
    >
    >   * We can’t display a proper table with the borders in Creator – try it
    >     out, search for QObject, look at the API reference, there’s actually
    >     no table there. Just some indentation with white background. Now
    >     compare it to this: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qobject.html

    Are you referring to the 1px table wrapping the list of members, etc.?

    Saying that we want to move to a full blown browser for that makes me
    think that this is a case of Qt not eating its own dogfood. Is it
    impossible to fix QTextDocument to support them properly?

    > You say:
    >
    > “Nowadays help/doc search activities is much more than just open offline
    > page with descriptions of classes and methods with examples.”
    >
    > Exactly. I’d like to have more than this – but we don’t even have basic
    > HTML. Remember, a table doesn’t render at all. It’s not possible with
    > regular Creator docs. It’s possible to have better documentation, but we
    > need something more than just QTextBrowser.

    "A table does not render at all" is a lie.

    Cheers,
    KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts

This e-mail and any attachment(s) are intended only for the recipient(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive them. They may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read this email or its attachment(s). Furthermore, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any attachment(s) or copies thereof from your system. Thank you.