[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Thu Jun 27 16:28:30 CEST 2019

> On 27 Jun 2019, at 11:25, Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan at Veelo.net> wrote:
>
> On 27/06/2019 06:57, Richard Weickelt wrote:
>>> Qt used to make a point on having superior documentation to most other
>>> frameworks, and it was (and still is) one of the reasons for its success.
>>> Whatever we can do to help make the documentation better is something I
>>> think we should do.
> [...]
>> I stopped using the integrated help and QtAssisant at some point and now I
>> am exclusively using the online documentation in my regular browser. I can't
>> give an exact reason, but I can see a correlation of multiple things:
> [...]
>> 5) There was the point where Qt's online docs started to look better.
>>    Cripser fonts, more whitespace, better code highlighting.
>>
>> I guess no matter how hard you try and how much effort you put into it, I'll
>> probably never use QtCreator's integrated help again.
>
> You just listed one of the deficiencies of QTextBrowser as a reason to not use Qt for browsing its documentation. That's like saying it's bad, so there is no point in making it good.

QTextBrowser was never meant as a full HTML5 rendering engine,  and it will never be. I honestly don’t think implementing (close to) full CSS 2.1 support for it makes a lot of sense. I’ve implemented CSS 2.1 support for KHTML way back and adding that to QTextBrowser is a huge job. And since we have something that can render HTML5 perfectly it doesn’t make sense to do all that work.

Lars