[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jun 27 20:14:53 CEST 2019

On Thursday, 27 June 2019 07:39:29 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> > On 27 Jun 2019, at 08:25, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
> > wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 26 June 2019 18:47:32 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> >> Yes, Webengine uses some memory. But is that really a problem on
> >> developer
> >> machines?
> >

> > Yes. I have 16 GB of RAM and 16 GB of swap. Sometimes Linux fails to
> > suspend  to disk unless I quit either Creator, Firefox or Chromium.
> > Free memory isn't completely the issue. Even with 6 GB free (after
> > re-adding buffers/cache) and 10 GB swap free, the suspend can fail.
>
> I don’t buy this.Qt  Webengine (one page) takes let’s say worst case 150M (I
> would believe it’s quite a bit less). That’s less than 1% of your available
> RAM.

I'm not saying that Qt Web Engine would be a problem. I was arguing against
"memory is not a problem on developer machines". We still need to be careful
of how much we use.

Anyway, +150MB for Qt Creator is close to a 20% increase in how much it's
consuming right now, with no C++ files open. I'm also seeing 1.2 GB swapped
out...

> > [*] KMail already starts a QtWebEngineProcess, but the main process is
> > right  now consuming 950 MB of heap.
>
> The complain to the KMail developers :)

Indeed.

Anyway, closing and restarting both applications, KMail dropped to a mere 310
MB heap (530 MB RSS) and Qt Creator increased to 980 MB RSS (but no swap).