[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Fri Jun 28 11:08:33 CEST 2019

On 27.06.19 20:14, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> I'm not saying that Qt Web Engine would be a problem. I was arguing against
> "memory is not a problem on developer machines". We still need to be careful
> of how much we use.
>
> Anyway, +150MB for Qt Creator is close to a 20% increase in how much it's
> consuming right now, with no C++ files open. I'm also seeing 1.2 GB swapped
> out...

Right, not everybody has 16GB of ram. There are people wanting to use QtCreator
also in poorer country, or simply students or non-pro, with cheaper hardware.

Or sometimes even it can be convenient to debug with QtCreator running on the
embedded target machine.

Not saying anything pro or against QtWebEngine: Just saying that, in general,
the "RAM is cheap anyway for developer" argument should not be a license to
wasting memory.  (A 20% increase is not negligible)