[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at qt.io
Fri Jun 28 11:50:01 CEST 2019

I will just chime in here to repeat one important point:

Chromium receives fixes for security problems every few weeks, at least. We typically release new versions of Qt Creator much less frequently. We cannot expose an unsafe web browser to our users, at least not without risking some major feces/fan interaction. Do we want to give ourselves this kind of headache? I clearly don't.

Furthermore, the approach of having a simplified documentation format for things like the "sidebar" style help view is rather appealing. I would even go and customize that further for the narrow width display you have there. I find myself constantly resizing the editor and help view when I view them side by side. Then I would throw out the whole "full window" help mode in Qt Creator and have people use a real web browser for that instead.

Things like integrated interactive tutorials should maybe not be seen as part of the help system at all. You could write those using any technology. Widgets or QML for example.

Ulf