[Development] HEADS-UP: Qt 5.13 API review

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Fri Mar 15 14:31:30 CET 2019

Edward Welbourne (perjantai 15. maaliskuuta 2019 11.49) wrote
>> Yesterday I updated the remaining reviews (and closed one as fatuous), to
>> pick up changes folk have made in the interval.  I note, with some concern,
>> that there have been quite a lot of changes to qtbase's API that weren't
>> comments on PS3.

Jani Heikkinen (15 March 2019 13:57) replied
> This sounds quite worrying to me... I understand that API isn't frozen
> yet; that's why we have API review ongoing now. And of course we can
> change API based on review results. But otherwise I can see any reason
> why API should be changed after feature freeze. All these changes are
> making API review kind of useless; we are reviewing API which has
> already changed... And how we could conclude the review if there is
> other changes outside of review

Well, see my comments on PS3.  Many of the API changes are deprecations,
being added as part of our preparations for Qt6; we should probably be
doing those in dev, not 5.13 after its FF, and doing them after a code
review has finished would definitely be bad; but I'm not as troubled by
those as I am by the (far fewer) actual additions to the API in qtbase.

Which is why I brought it up,

	Eddy.