[Development] Continuous Integration for 3rd party projects using Qt

Jedrzej Nowacki Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io
Tue Mar 19 09:56:40 CET 2019

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:55:53 AM CET Uwe Rathmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in the end all advice goes into the direction of using one of the
> standard services in combination with using my own brain when working on
> the code.
>
> Unfortunately nobody pointed out a realistic way how a 3rd party project
> could make use of the infrastructure used by the Qt project nor did
> anyone seem to like this idea enough to think it through.
>
> Anyway - thanks for all the valuable thoughts and links,
>
> Uwe

Hi,

 Coin is able to build and tests practically any qmake and >qt5.6 (soon qt5.9)
based project. It has to be hosted on codereview.qt-project.org, there is
limited support for git.qt.io or github.com (can not work as a gate keeper).
There is no SVN support at all. Qt4 support would be a pain in general,
because of many reasons.

  Qt project CI is for modules that closely follow Qt, including coding style
as well as release cycle. It is not a general CI, it could be, as it is not
that far from it, but it is not. There is an ongoing effort to simplify
3rdparty modules builds ("Qt modules, API changes and Qt 6" https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2019-January/035018.html), but even then I
would not expect to build against anything older then the oldest LTS. The
build system, platform configurations, dependencies are changing too quickly
and all modules needs to follow.

Cheers,
  Jędrek