[Development] Requesting a repository for UI analytics

Frederik Gladhorn Frederik.Gladhorn at qt.io
Wed May 8 16:47:25 CEST 2019

Hello Vladimir,

On onsdag 10. april 2019 14:21:21 CEST Minenko, Vladimir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to request for a new repository:
>
> Name of the repository: qt-labs/qtuianalytics.git
> analytics.
 Responsible person: Vladimir Minenko
> Gerrit user/email: vladimir.minenko at pelagicore.com
>
> We developed an initial version of a Qt Quick plug in allowing collection of
> UI usage analytics. It can be used in almost any QML item. It currently
> uses Matomo (former Piwik) as a web-based storage and visualization
> backend.

> The current implementation is fully functional and was already used in a
> joint-development prototype with a customer. The mid- to long-term
> intention is to create a new extension for Qt which would enable collection
> of UI usage data and a basic visualization with standard, mostly web-based
> analytics services, like Matomo. The code will be licensed under LGLPv3 and
> commercial licenses.

Is it always going to be UI? Maybe a more general name would make sense?

I struggle to come up with a great name though.

The Qt Company plans to gather some usage statistics from our products, e.g.
Qt Creator, to learn better which platforms matter to our users. There is
indeed some overlap, but in the meantime we have settled on using
KUserFeedback, since Volker Krause has been really helpful and it provides
what we need. It will be interesting to see how your implementation is
different.

I'd vote for creating the repository, but assuming it aims to become part of
Qt, with qt as namespace. "qt/qtuianalytics", unless someone comes up with a
better name.

Cheers,
Frederik