[Development] Views

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Mon May 20 12:48:19 CEST 2019

> On 17 May 2019, at 07:47, Mutz, Marc via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
> On 2019-05-16 23:41, Konstantin Shegunov wrote:
>> you end up where the STL is - so convoluted it's hardly worth making
>> anything with it.
> Qt is a C++ library. If you don't like C++, either stay in QML or use Java. No-one uses C++ unless they need the extra performance.

That might be true for some people, but certainly not for everybody.

Qt has always had a somewhat different philosophy. Make C++ easy to use, no need to use Java. The fact is that 95% of the source code our users write will not be performance critical. You don’t want to make the pay the price of having a difficult to use API for those 95% of the code. 

That making expensive operations hard to use will lead to more performant code is something I don’t buy. A hard to use API will instead lead to programming mistakes and will simply lead to slower speed in implementing the features required.

So you should give people the option to implement their 5% code that’s performance critical in a fast way and make it as easy as possible for them to implement the remaining 95%.

> It is not Qt's job to change the decisions made by the C++ standards committee. If you want to change the STL, submit a paper to WG21, not rant on a Qt mailing-list.

It’s not. But it’s also not that we have to simply follow any decision the standards committee does. Design philosophies and priorities may differ and lead to different decisions.


More information about the Development mailing list