[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Mon May 20 17:27:33 CEST 2019

On 20/05/2019 16:51, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 20.05.2019, 16:02, "Bastiaan Veelo" <bastiaan at veelo.net>:
[...]
>> Qt Assistant officially only renders content with QTextBrowser
>> currently, which is too limited for many of us[1]. There are still
>> traces of greater WebKit times, but that code remains unused after
>> WebKit was dropped from Qt.
> Note that it should be possible to rebuild QtTools with QtWebKit support,
> for example this configuration is supported in Gentoo out of the box.

Interesting, I would not have guessed. The way I currently do the
refactoring is breaking that possibility, though. It could be restored
(I guess) by moving that code into a WebKit based plugin. But I'm not
planning on installing Gentoo to implement and test that, and without
WebKit being part of mainline Qt I'm not sure such a plugin should be
either, especially when things are working with WebEngine.

If continued WebKit support is desired, and the plugin idea is welcomed,
would you @Konstantin be able to help finish the WebKit plugin?

Or do you think that removing WebKit support from Assistant completely
would be better, if WebEngine shows to be working well?

--
Bastiaan.