[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Mon May 20 17:56:47 CEST 2019

20.05.2019, 18:27, "Bastiaan Veelo" <bastiaan at veelo.net>:
> On 20/05/2019 16:51, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>>  20.05.2019, 16:02, "Bastiaan Veelo" <bastiaan at veelo.net>:
>
> [...]
>>>  Qt Assistant officially only renders content with QTextBrowser
>>>  currently, which is too limited for many of us[1]. There are still
>>>  traces of greater WebKit times, but that code remains unused after
>>>  WebKit was dropped from Qt.
>>  Note that it should be possible to rebuild QtTools with QtWebKit support,
>>  for example this configuration is supported in Gentoo out of the box.
>
> Interesting, I would not have guessed. The way I currently do the
> refactoring is breaking that possibility, though. It could be restored
> (I guess) by moving that code into a WebKit based plugin. But I'm not
> planning on installing Gentoo to implement and test that

You actually don't need to install Gentoo. QtWebKit support is enabled
automatically if you compile Assistant after installation of QtWebKit.

> and without
> WebKit being part of mainline Qt I'm not sure such a plugin should be
> either, especially when things are working with WebEngine.

Probably so

> If continued WebKit support is desired, and the plugin idea is welcomed,
> would you @Konstantin be able to help finish the WebKit plugin?

Sure.

However, it would better to avoid duplicating work with Qt Creator,
which also implements HelpViewer interface with different backends.
Some time ago there was a discussion that such shared interface & plugin
system should belong to Qt Web View module. But that would  probably
require more work to be done.

> Or do you think that removing WebKit support from Assistant completely
> would be better, if WebEngine shows to be working well?

As for me, I'm totally fine with QTextBrowser

--
Regards,
Konstantin