[Development] Assistant WebKit/WebEngine support

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Mon May 20 18:56:30 CEST 2019

On 20/05/2019 17:56, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 20.05.2019, 18:27, "Bastiaan Veelo" <bastiaan at veelo.net>:
>> On 20/05/2019 16:51, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>>>   Note that it should be possible to rebuild QtTools with QtWebKit support,
>>>   for example this configuration is supported in Gentoo out of the box.
>> Interesting, I would not have guessed. The way I currently do the
>> refactoring is breaking that possibility, though. It could be restored
>> (I guess) by moving that code into a WebKit based plugin. But I'm not
>> planning on installing Gentoo to implement and test that
> You actually don't need to install Gentoo. QtWebKit support is enabled
> automatically if you compile Assistant after installation of QtWebKit.

But not on Windows, am I right?

>> If continued WebKit support is desired, and the plugin idea is welcomed,
>> would you @Konstantin be able to help finish the WebKit plugin?
> Sure.
Appreciated.
> However, it would better to avoid duplicating work with Qt Creator,
> which also implements HelpViewer interface with different backends.
> Some time ago there was a discussion that such shared interface & plugin
> system should belong to Qt Web View module. But that would  probably
> require more work to be done.

That would be nice. Do you have a pointer to that discussion? I only
found
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/qt-creator/2017-September/006740.html.
As you might have guessed, I am not a regular here.

>> Or do you think that removing WebKit support from Assistant completely
>> would be better, if WebEngine shows to be working well?
> As for me, I'm totally fine with QTextBrowser

I wish that were true for me. We need colours in table cell borders and
SVG images (and better CSS support would be real nice). This might help,
but is stalled: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/177256

--
Bastiaan.