[Development] Qt XML and Qt Xml Patterns

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Tue May 21 17:51:47 CEST 2019

On 5/21/19 4:58 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Note I said QtXml is deprecated, but it might actually be in Done
> state. I don't remember. Does anyone? Where's our authoritative
> source?
>
> The difference between Done and Deprecated is whether we're telling
> you to start porting code away.

My use case is SVG, that depends on XML - using vector graphics is
something we are doing since many years all the time. F.e our current
project uses > 1000 SVGs.

I remember, that there once was a page in the Qt docs that
explicitly recommended layouts + vector graphics being the solution to
make an application independent from the specific screen resolution.

F.e QSkinny is based on a class QskGraphic (
https://github.com/uwerat/qskinny/blob/master/src/graphic/QskGraphic.h
), what is a QPainter record/replay paint device - similar to QPicture
-  that can be used like QPixmap/QImage, but for vector graphics.

Our instances if QskGraphic were initially created from SVGs using this
precompiler (
https://github.com/uwerat/qskinny/blob/master/tools/svg2qvg/main.cpp )
based on QSvgRenderer. Of course I could use a different SVG parser to
create the QPainter commands, but for what ...

So please don't consider removing SVG/XML - I would even suggest the
opposite: improve Widgets + Quick towards vector graphics.

Uwe