[Development] Qt XML and Qt Xml Patterns

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Tue May 21 21:09:48 CEST 2019

Il 21/05/19 16:58, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
> On Tuesday, 21 May 2019 00:15:04 PDT Bernhard Lindner wrote:
>> Unlucky me. Deprecation of these two components literally broke every
>> application I have ever written using Qt. I hope they will have new
>> maintainers some day.
> Note I said QtXml is deprecated, but it might actually be in Done state. I
> don't remember. Does anyone? Where's our authoritative source?
>
> The difference between Done and Deprecated is whether we're telling you to
> start porting code away.

I think both XML and XMLPatterns are Done, not Deprecated.

Reasoning: only the former has an explicit note in the documentation
(can't find an equivalent for the latter):

> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtxml-index.html
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtxmlpatterns-index.html

But especially: neither is marked as deprecated in

> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtmodules.html

So where and when exactly it has been decided that XML patterns is
getting deprecated in 5.13? Was it ever brought up in the mailing lists?
It's not listed as such in the 5.13.0 changelog, it's not in the docs,
the only reference is 5.13.0 is

> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qt5/+/256261

Which landed over two months after the feature freeze. The only note I
can find in the documentation has been _just_ added for 5.13.1:

> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtxmlpatterns/+/256597

And similarly no note has been added to the overall Qt modules page:

> https://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qt5-5.13/qtmodules.html

Thanks,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts