[Development] Qt XML and Qt Xml Patterns

Bernhard Lindner private at bernhard-lindner.de
Tue May 21 22:13:36 CEST 2019

> I think both XML and XMLPatterns are Done, not Deprecated.

What a relief!

> Reasoning: only the former has an explicit note in the documentation
> (can't find an equivalent for the latter):
>
> > https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtxml-index.html
> > https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtxmlpatterns-index.html
>
> But especially: neither is marked as deprecated in
>
> > https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtmodules.html

Never noticed the "deprecated" tags.
Do you think a separate, more detailed status column would be useful for that table? Plus
Thiagos status explanations?

> So where and when exactly it has been decided that XML patterns is
> getting deprecated in 5.13?

There is a second very interesting question:
Why does the "explicit note" in the documentation recommend replacement classes (i.e. the
streaming classes) for Qt Xml if it is "Done" and not "Deprecated"? Appart from the fact
that this is technically suspect, now it seems completely wrong in regard to the status.

It appears Qt Xml actually was marked deprecated in code once which was reverted later.

I just browsed the web a little.
It is deprecated:
https://wiki.qt.io/XML
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2013-August/008183.html
https://community.kde.org/Qt5/Documentation/OverviewClassification#QtXML_.28deprecated.29
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-71784
It is done:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-32926

The confusion is perfect. Especially notice issue 71784 above. That is what I talked about
earlier when I said without clean documentation you can not do clean Qt6 planning.

--
Best Regards,
Bernhard Lindner