[Development] Qt XML and Qt Xml Patterns

Alex Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Wed May 22 09:11:17 CEST 2019

My comment below are about Qt XML Pattern only. I make zero statements for Qt Xml.

> > https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtxmlpatterns-index.html

The above links are for 5.12. I deprecated QXml Pattern in 5.13. I admit I didn't catch all cases in our docs.

> But especially: neither is marked as deprecated in
> > https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtmodules.html

Indeed. This was an oversight on my behalf.

> So where and when exactly it has been decided that XML patterns is getting
> deprecated in 5.13? Was it ever brought up in the mailing lists?

This was a case where I thought it is obvious already. The definition of "Done" (given by Thiago earlier in this thread) has not applied for a long time anymore. There hasn't been maintainer for a long time. I understand this leave use cases in the dust but this can only by averted if somebody steps up to actively main this module. There is no point claiming support otherwise.

Nothing has been decided at this stage but unless a new maintainer can be found, it might even slip into Removed state in Qt 6.

In any case marking it as deprecated was mostly just a formal case to make the status quo really obvious to everybody.
In hindsight I should have written a mail about it to this list. I am sorry about it.

Please consider this mail as an official announcement of Qt Xml Patterns deprecation.

--
Alex