[Development] Qt 5 types under consideration for deprecation / removal in Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri May 31 07:35:27 CEST 2019

On Thursday, 30 May 2019 15:37:32 PDT Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> > I understand, but aside from qmake, I don't know of any build system that
> > allows for building both host and target in the same build. That means
> > whatever we use in Qt 6, we'll a separate build for host tools when cross-
> > compiling.
>
> That's not exactly correct, as any build system which supports custom build
> rules (or "custom compilers" in qmake parlance) can implement such
> bootstrap without much pain. Most of build systems around, starting from
> good old make, support custom build rules [1]. Unfortunately, cmake is less
> expressive than make, as it supports [2] only custom targets ()

"without much pain" is incorrect. The whole point of having a buildsystem that
is more complex than Make is to figure out where the compiler is, how to run
it, how to create libraries and executables, at a minimum. Custom rules
wouldn't benefit from that detection, which means we'd need to duplicate all
of it in order to do everything in a single build.

Therefore, "with considerable pain".

> Fortunately, cmake has ExternalProject feature which can be used to work
> around this limitation. Cross build can build moc as a separate cmake
> project with host toolchain, and use it.

Which is what I said. A separate build step that bootstraps the tools.