[Development] RFC: Defaulting to or enforcing UTF-8 locales on Unix systems

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Nov 4 11:04:38 CET 2019

Edward Welbourne wrote:
> [*] I'm fairly sure the actual Unix programs yes and true don't care
> about locale, so treating them meaning as .* would be harmless ...

GNU yes takes an optional string that it repeats instead of "y", so it does
at least some string processing. I am not sure how it reacts if the
characters are outside of the locale's character set.

In addition, both GNU yes and GNU true have --help and --version options
that print translated strings.

        Kevin Kofler