[Development] RFC: Defaulting to or enforcing UTF-8 locales on Unix systems

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Mon Nov 4 18:29:41 CET 2019

On Monday, 4 November 2019 01:40:00 PST Edward Welbourne wrote:
>> * a list of regexes for program names to which it applies, when started
>>   as child processes.
>>
>> Or is that too hard to implement at all the places where we call exec()
>> and its equivalents ?

Thiago Macieira (4 November 2019 15:48)
> That's not at all what I wanted.
>
> I want to do qputenv in the Qt application *itself*, inside QCoreApplication.
> Note the most important process that this will apply to: itself. It applies to
> all other frameworks inside the same application that may inspect the
> environment, including an extra unknown call to setlocale(LC_ALL, "").

... and we can do that just fine if we
* record the prior value we're over-riding on some master object,
  that also remembers the list of regexes;
* call qputenv() exactly as you have in mind;
* when about to start a sub-process, ask that master object if the
  command name matches one of its regexes;
* if it does, restore *for only it* (e.g. after fork()) the prior value.

The default for everything else is then to see an environment with our
"correction" applied to the locale env var(s).

	Eddy.