[Development] Removing overloaded signals in Qt6

Sérgio Martins sergio.martins at kdab.com
Wed Nov 27 16:50:18 CET 2019

Hi,

The Qt5 PMF connect syntax is wonderful and very elegant compared to Qt
4.
Unless, ofc, you have overloaded signals, which makes it painful to
write and read. Not even qOverload makes it look much better.

I suggest we rename such signals, as KDE is already doing for KF6 (maybe
leave the old signatures there, to reduce Qt6 SIC)
There's also a new clazy check 'overloaded-signal' to help finding them.

Relevant bug report: QTBUG-47225

I know there are downsides, but keeping things as they are is just
worse.

Signals and slots are the bread of butter of Qt. Syntax for overloading
signals is just too much of a barrier for new-comers, who currently
aren't
even able to connect a QComboBox without much hassle.

Regards,
--
Sérgio Martins | sergio.martins at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)