[Development] The age-old T* foo vs. T *foo

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Thu Oct 17 23:55:59 CEST 2019

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 12:24:12AM +0300, Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 at 00:16, André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 09:04:36PM +0300, Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> > > Since we are about to do a major version upgrade, should be stop being
> > > a special snowflake in the C++ world and start attaching pointer-stars
> > > and reference-ampersands to the type instead of to the variable?
> >
> > No.
>
> Why?

It's a huge effort for discussion and conversion effort
for practically no gain.

And it opens the gate for more such fruitless discussions
   snake_style vs camelStyle
   east const vs west const
   getter/setter naming convention
   Q prefix
   namespaces
   indentation

I also think that there are more than enough open issues
in JIRA that, when solved, would have more practical impact
than shifting around white space in the code base.

Andre'