[Development] The age-old T* foo vs. T *foo

Kai Pastor, DG0YT dg0yt at darc.de
Fri Oct 18 08:02:06 CEST 2019

Am 17.10.19 um 23:55 schrieb André Pönitz:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 12:24:12AM +0300, Ville Voutilainen wrote:
>>> No.
>> Why?
> It's a huge effort for discussion and conversion effort
> for practically no gain.
>
> And it opens the gate for more such fruitless discussions
>     snake_style vs camelStyle
>     east const vs west const
>     getter/setter naming convention
>     Q prefix
>     namespaces
>     indentation
>
> I also think that there are more than enough open issues
> in JIRA that, when solved, would have more practical impact
> than shifting around white space in the code base.

Maybe the discussion is not fruitless, even it only helps to write down
the rationale for the current style. Especially "const" is the most
interesting keyword next to pointer-star.

This is familiar:

const char *key = "word"  vs.  const char* key = "word"
// east-side const: char const *key...

But what its the most readable for a const pointer?

char *const key  vs.  char* const key

Kai.