[Development] Closing 5.13 branch after Qt 5.13.2 release?

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Fri Sep 6 11:16:30 CEST 2019

Tuuka proposed closing 5.13 early.
Thiago wants it to stay open until a month short of 5.14.0's release.

On Thursday, 5 September 2019 08:51:40 PDT Tuukka Turunen wrote:
>> That is probably quite close to Qt 5.13.2 timing. If we release it in mid
>> October we have about a month to Qt 5.14.0. Of course release team still
>> can push cherrypicked fixes into 5.13 after closed. So in case of some
>> crucial fix there is no problem.

Thiago Macieira (5 September 2019 19:27)
> I think we should keep it open, since the timing could allow for a 5.13.3. The
> schedule for 5.14 straddles the contributor summit, so there's a non-
> negligible chance that it won't be out by the end of November.
>
> Worst case is that we don't release it and 5.13 gets merged into 5.14.

A possible compromise: Tuuka's goal is to reduce the merge load, so keep
5.13 open, for critical fixes, but with a less rigorous merge schedule,
only merging up from it when a new critical fix has landed in it, plus
one final merge when it does close.  This would discourage folk from
putting anything less than critical into it (they'd have to wait a while
before it reaches other branches) while still leaving it open until the
usual time a month before 5.14.0 release.

	Eddy.